GENERAL DESCRIPTION: The Trained Medication Aide (TMA) works under the guidance of the Licensed Nurse to assist in the administration of medications. The TMA will serve as a team member to promote optimal resident care.
REPORTS TO: Charge Nurse and Supervisor.
SHIFT: 11pm – 7am
LOCATION: This position would work in both the skilled care facility and the assisted living facility.
Full benefits, competitive wages with shift differential and experience pay.
- Successful completion of a state approved nursing assistant long term care training program/testing with current listing in good standing on the Minnesota Department of Health Nursing Assistant Registry.
- Successful completion of the state approved course entitled Medication Administration for Unlicensed Personnel.
- Eligibility for employment after criminal background study, per guidelines of the Minnesota Department of Human Services.
- Current CPR certification for health care professionals.
FUNDAMENTAL JOB DUTIES:
- Follow established standards of nursing practice and implement facility policies
- Use the six rights at all times when administering medications including recording medications in the Medication Administration Record (MAR). The six rights are: right resident, right medication, right dose, right route, right time, and right record.
- Complies with governmental regulations when administering medications.
- Administers medication by mouth or directly to skin, eyes, ears, nose or rectum.
- Uses common abbreviations and symbols when recording.
- Uses standard medication references.
- Reorders medication from pharmacies; picks up pharmacy deliveries for residents at Station 1, checking for accuracy before putting in the medication cart.
- Oxygen administration and monitoring after orders and systems are set up by licensed nurse.
- Follows safety precautions; identifies safety hazards and initiates corrective action immediately.
- Uses therapeutic communication and interpersonal skills.
- Respects rights of residents.
- Reports significant information pertaining to administering medications to the licensed nurse providing direction.
- Collects data pertaining to the need for a prn (as needed) medication and reports the data and administration to the licensed nurse providing direction, and administers these medications appropriately.
- Observe infection control procedures.
- Consistently work cooperatively with residents, residents’ representatives, facility staff, physicians, consultants and ancillary service providers.
- Demonstrate positive working relationship with coworkers and other departments.
- Promote positive image of St. Luke’s Lutheran Care Center
- Address resident/staff issues in private.
- Abide by Nursing Department dress code. Wear nametag at all times.
- To adhere to the Code of Conduct and Compliance policies as defined in the new employee orientation information.
- Attend in-service activities to improve knowledge and skills and maintain
- Participate in St. Luke’s Lutheran Care Center continuous quality improvement
- Ability to occasionally bend, stoop, squat, reach above shoulder level, crouch,
kneel, and push/pull.
- Ability to carry up to 35 pounds.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to understand and use good body mechanics.